My favorite LinkedIn feature is having the ability to learn from ANYONE on the platform. Here is how you can schedule an informational interview:
1. Identify your specific goal. Search 2nd-degree connections in your network that can help you meet this goal.
2. Read through their LinkedIn profile thoroughly. Note achievements, current projects, and common interests.
3. Determine a specific call to action relevant to this individual and your goal.
4. Ask for an intro or send a request with a note. Warm intros preferred.
5. Carefully craft your note before sending.
I’m a recent grad from X and passionate about Y! It looks like you are highly skilled at this, and I was wondering if you had any advice. I noticed you did Z, so I thought I’d reach out!
My background is in X, and I’ve worked for Y and Z. I’ve just begun my journey, and any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for your time and go Bruins!
6. Schedule a 30 min call! Prepare your talking points beforehand, and brainstorm ways to also help them achieve their goals. Think win-win.
7. Send a thank you note for their time and guidance.
8. Repeat weekly ;).
Go get ’em!