How do you handle conflict with class? I can be fairly outspoken, but I’ve never been a fan of conflict. Here are a few hacks that I have learned over the years:
1. Always respond in a cool, calm, and collected way. Keep your brand in mind.
2. Picture yourself as a 3rd party in the conflict before responding.
3. Demonstrate empathy. Consider the other person’s viewpoint.
4. Focus on finding a solution vs. pointing out what’s wrong. Reframe the conversation in a positive way.
5. Listen. Demonstrate listening by nodding, rephrasing what you just heard, and not interrupting.
6. If the person is toxic, re-evaluate the role this person plays in your life, and find ways to limit contact immediately.
7. If this person has crossed a definite line, involve higher-ups.
8. Create and enforce boundaries. People treat you the way you allow them to treat you. When something isn’t working for you – speak up. Communication is key.
9. Know that only you are in control of your response to any situation.
10. Give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe the other person is having a bad day, lacks social grace, or perhaps you misinterpreted the other person (most common with emails/texts).
11. Ignore the haters – critics are a sign of success.