Become a LinkedIn ninja with these tips:
1. PHOTO: high-res, professional, well-lit, from shoulders to top of the head, smile, front-facing, minor editing.
2. BACKGROUND IMAGE: Cityscape, professional event, or with an influencer.
3. HEADLINE: Universally understood, use | to separate, highlight current position(s). May include mission. eg: “Process Engineer at Chevron | Licensed Professional Engineer | Six Sigma Black Belt”.
If unemployed, don’t write so. Use a headline that highlights your past achievements and future direction.
4. SUMMARY: Show what you do, what motivates you, and where you are heading. 1st or 3rd person acceptable. Avoid contractions/slang/jargon. Make sure this section is well-written and professional. Attach media – websites, articles, podcasts. Have a strong hook. Have a call-to-action – eg: “Reach out, I’d love to meet you.”
5. URL: Select a URL with your first and last name.
6. CAREER INTERESTS: Turn “on” if job hunting.
7. EXPERIENCE: Summaries or bullet points. Use power words, describe (quantitative results), list most impressive point first, separate out promotions, add extracurricular activity.
8. THE REST: Fill all sections!
9. RECOMMENDATIONS: Ask!
10. SEO: Include keywords from the job descriptions you want.